1. The PeopleZen Setup Package
The PeopleZen setup package (the roxority_PeopleZen.zip file) is a zipped archive containing:
- Inst_2013.exe — a setup wizard for adding or removing PeopleZen to/from the SharePoint 2013 server farm, to be run by a farm administrator user on the "primary" SharePoint 2013 farm server — in a multi-server farm environment, that is the server hosting Central Administration.
- Inst_2010_2007.exe — a setup wizard for adding or removing PeopleZen to/from the SharePoint 2010 or SharePoint 2007 server farm, to be run by a farm administrator user on the "primary" SharePoint 2010/2007 farm server — in a multi-server farm environment, that is the server hosting Central Administration.
- Additional supporting files (such as the solution package/s) that are required for Inst_2013.exe and Inst_2010_2007.exe to run and must neither be modified nor removed.
2. Installing / uninstalling the PeopleZen Solution Package
Run Inst_2013.exe (for SharePoint 2013) or Inst_2010_2007.exe (for SharePoint 2010 or 2007) — DO SO ONLY:
- on the "primary" SharePoint farm server — in a multi-server farm environment, that is the server hosting Central Administration
- under user account credentials that are added to the Farm Administrators group in your SharePoint Central Administration
Deinstallation: — the setup wizard will first determine whether any version of PeopleZen is currently deployed or installed in the server farm.
- If so, it immediately proceeds to retract it from all Web Applications,
- then removes it from the server farm's solution store.
- (Re)installation: — the setup wizard will then prompt you whether to proceed installing and deploying PeopleZen to your SharePoint server farm:
- We highly recommend performing a full IISRESET on all farm servers after the setup wizard has finished.
- Even when PeopleZen is deployed in a Web Application, before you can add and start using the User Profiles Web Part on Web Part Pages inside a Site, the PeopleZen User Profiles Web Part Site Collection Feature needs to be activated for the parent Site Collection, as described in the Feature Activation section below. (The setup wizard will attempt to perform these Feature Activations for you, but does not check whether this succeeded.)
Once you have successfully completed the setup wizard, you can start using the PeopleZen User Profiles Web Part on Web Part Pages inside the applicable Site Collections immediately.
3. Activating the Site Collection Feature
The PeopleZen User Profiles Web Part is a SharePoint Site Collection-scoped Feature, which needs to be 'activated' on each Site Collection it is to be used in.
- Start from the Web Part Page you want to use the Web Part on. Select Site Settings from the Site Actions menu.
- The Site Settings page contains the Site Collection Administration section. In this section, click the Site collection features link. If it doesn't exist, click the Go to top level site settings link in the Site Collection Administration section instead, and on the root web's Site Settings page now displayed, click the Site Collection Features link inside the Site Collection Administration section.
- The Site Collection Features page should contain a row titled PeopleZen
- If it does, click the Activate button to make the Web Part available
to all web sites, Web Part galleries and Web Part Pages inside this site collection;
or click the Deactivate button to disable the Web Part throughout this site
- Note: if you do deactivate the Site Collection Feature, existing PeopleZen Web Parts will continue to work: the feature activation status only controls whether the Web Part is available inside your Site Web Part Galleries.
- If the row doesn't exist, the PeopleZen solution package was not
yet deployed to this web application. On the System Settings page (Operations
in SharePoint 2007) in the Central Administration, click Manage Farm Solutions
(Solution management in SharePoint 2007). On the Solution Management
page, click roxority_peoplezen_xyz.wsp (the xyz part will be different
depending on your SharePoint version) to open the Solution Properties page.
Click Deploy Solution, then select this Site Collection's parent web
application and click OK. (The deployment is delegated to a background job
scheduled to run either at the date and time specified, or as soon as possible.
Once started, it may take this job up to a few minutes to finish deployment.)
- If it does, click the Activate button to make the Web Part available to all web sites, Web Part galleries and Web Part Pages inside this site collection; or click the Deactivate button to disable the Web Part throughout this site collection.